Friday, August 20, 2010

Old Post 14: An Ode to my favorite desserts

This article is completely outside the bounds of my usual topic and focus, Pittsburgh bakeries.  But last night a friend made a blueberry cobbler with a vanilla custard sauce and homemade mango sorbet with gingersnaps and mint, and she asked me not to write about it. 

I assured her I wouldn't because I couldn't, but then I tasted it and I thought, why not just do an article for me?  Just one little article that remembers all my favorite desserts and Sugar Lovin' sweets I've had from all those home cooks that really knock it out of the park.  I've kept their identities at least a little secret.

So here it comes, my ode to all things sweet: 
To some Little Miss Debbie is the queen of all sweets
But they miss out on so many delightful treats
To all my home bakers who make all these goodies
Trust me, the 5 pounds extra I carry is worth all the worry
To eat your sweet treats is a true delight
Enjoy and know you are one of a kind!

A chocolate chip cookie made by miss Joyce

Will surely make them lift up their hands and rejoice
Moist and delicious, it must be nutritious
But I hardly get one when so many take a ton!

An apricot horn fresh from Bubs’ oven

Is the perfect example of good Sugar Lovin’
Tart and resplendent with good fruity filling
I eat one with my coffee each morning while chilling

Fresh fruit smoothies of blueberry and peach

From sweet sista Maria leave you without speech
And her brownie ice cream sandwich is a treasure
Sure to bring you lots of tasty pleasure

Tara’s scrumptious blueberry cobbler

Will inspire your inner gobbler
And her mango sorbet
Is not to be given away

A lemon square from Liz is a rare gift

Not to be shared with just any twit
Lots of sweet and a little bit of tart
Make this citrusy treat a true work of art

Audrey’s a winner when she makes you a dinner

But she’s the queen of bake
With her sweet coffee crumb cake
A little of which you’ll be begging to take

Theresa’s peanut butter cookies are hard to match

They are the highlight of my Christmas goodie stash
Made from a cookie press only once a year
I’m craving that crunch and holding back my tear

Jenny’s pig-licking-good cake just might say it all

Because what else could you call
A cake so delicious there is never any left over
And we're all left to snack on icky chocolates from Russell Stover

To all my home bakers keep making your goodies!

Because baking is love and sugar love is baking
Keep on sending me those things you are making!

Special thanks to Mom, Bubba, Maria, Tara, Liz, Grandma, Jenny and Theresa for your unforgettable goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment