Monday, February 14, 2011

Breakfast goodies

Breakfasting while on vacation is a necessary.  And if you hadn't figured it out yet, I'm a recipe hoarder.  (its going to take me years to go through and try all the recipes I've collected, literally).  So this Valentine's Day weekend, not only did I make dessert, but I made breakfast pastries.

On the first day, I made my cinnamon rolls from puff pastry (found here) and then I mixed it up a bit with raspberry sweet rolls.  Its essentially the exact same recipe, except I used raspberry preserves instead of a cinnamon sugar filling. 



(and no, those aren't what my rolls looked like.  I was working in an efficiency kitchen with no rolling pin. )

The next day, I brought the puff pastry out again (limited space & tools), and made a blueberry puff pastry breakfast sweet treat.  I macerated the blueberries (a little lemon juice, a little sugar, and blueberries) and then stuffed them neatly into a little pocket of puff pastry.  After it baked, it smelled great, but it tasted flat.  It needed marscapone or cream cheese.  So for a blueberry cheese danish, here's what I would do:

1.5 cups Fresh blueberries
3 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 sheet Puff pastry, thawed
1 cup Marscapone or cream cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Combine the blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Roll out the puff pastry just a little and then spread the Marscapone cheese in an even layer across, leaving an inch at each edge.  Mash the blueberries a little with a fork and then pile a little in the center.  Take the edges of the puff pastry and fold toward the center, overlapping a little and gently pressing to form the edges together.   Place on an unlined buttered cookie sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the pastry gets puffy and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment