Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sweets for my sweets- thoughts on food as love

For some reason this week, I have felt extra sentimental.  I find myself in a state of wonderment and awe at my great fortune of friends, family, and love.  I dig this feeling;  it's humbling and comforting and empowering all at the same time.

I once read that to receive love, you must give love.  I don't know who said it or wrote it, but it's the kind of quote that sticks with you.  And as a young girl wrote in Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul, "when it comes down to it, we all just want to be loved."

So, the question is, how can you give love?  Let me count the ways:  hugs, kisses, hand squeezes, smiles, gifts, happy energy, healing energy, laughter, cuddles, massages, love letters, food, time, friendship, and more.  One of my favorite ways to give love is to give Sugar Lovin food or share food with someone.  So today, I'm going to imagine all the sweet treats I would give to my sweets.

For my babe, my future hubs:  a peaches 'n' cream pie with a heart of raspberries

Not just because I know he loves peaches, pie, and raspberries but because in China, where peaches originated, peaches are thought to bring luck, abundance and protection and raspberries are known for being rich in antioxidants.  I would begin with a whole wheat & oats pie crust that I flavor with peach schnapps and raspberry vodka instead of water.  I would bake the crust and then fill it with a rich, vanilla pastry cream.  Then, I would mix freshly peeled, sliced, and pitted peaches with honey, lemon zest and flour and saute it in a small saucepan until the peaches cooked down a little.  I would top my pastry cream with the peaches and then form a heart out of fresh raspberries for the center.  Find the recipe here.

For la mia famiglia: dulce de oh my god brownie sundaes

Because chocolate is a staple in our household and because we are too spicy and fun to be just plain chocolate, I would give heart shaped chocolate and cinnamon brownies topped with dulce de leche ice cream, fresh caramel, and toasted chopped cashews (we also love cashews).  It's a complex dessert, who's flavors are balanced and creative, just like my family.  I would start with a recipe for the best brownies ever and add some spicy cinnamon.  I would use a heart shaped cookie cutter to portion the brownies and then I would top it with either homemade dulce de leche ice cream (if there were time) or Haagen Daaz (R) brand (a great option when you are short on time).  Next, I would make a deep, amber caramel sauce and drizzle it lightly over the top.  Finally, I would toast salted cashews in the oven and then roughly chop them and sprinkle them to finish this fun and decadent dessert. 

For my friends:  maple macademia nut cookies

Because I like the name macademia, which to me has a little bit of crazy and a little bit of fun and they have a whole lot of taste.  Because I love the natural, smoky, sweetness of maple syrup.  And because together, we are a sweet little cake of many flavor that all complement each other.  I would start with a basic drop cookie recipe, but decrease the amount of brown sugar to add maple syrup and increase the flour to make sure the dough is not too wet.  For fun, I might add in white chocolate chips or butterscotch chips.  Find this recipe here.

My friends, my family and my babe: if there were ever any doubt that giving food was the same as giving love,  I hope it's gone.  My Sugar Lovin brain has gone into overload coming up with these foodie love gifts for you!

Now, we'll just have to see if I make them for you or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment